Pages

Monday, September 1, 2014

Monday Musings: Audio Book vs Paper Books


So in this world of technology there are so many ways to read your books. There are Kindles, Nooks (Now partnered with Samsung Galaxy),  and Audio books.

Audio books are what interest me. 



My sister drives a lot, so she listens to audio books all the time. It's the number one way she absorbs her stories now. When I wrote my book I wanted her to read it and she asked me to record an audio version of it so she could listen to it in her car.

For my personal preference I've tried to listen to some audio books and I found that I can only listen to non-fiction. I don't know if it is because I also write so I like to digest my fiction through good old-fashioned reading. I think it's because I have my own image of the setting, character, and tone of the dialogue in my head. I don't really like someone else's reading to interrupt that. But that's just me (and I am admittedly a weirdo).

However, I do know something that most people agree on:

- The narrator matters. If there is a bad narrator reading the books or one who's voice doesn't go with the story (i.e. an elderly Scandinavian lady reading a middle grade comedy Sci-Fi) then it can "ruin" the book.

Do you listen to Audio books? And does narrator, genre, or anything else matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment