Pages

Monday, November 3, 2014

Monday Musings: To write you need to Read


Hey guys it's NaNoWriMo and I am trying to keep to my word count goals every day. But as I write (and to be honest, I am jumping between two books because I'm crazy like that!) I keep thinking about other books that I've read in the same genre I'm writing. This got me to thinking of the multiple conversations I've had with writers about what books they like to read and if it falls into the genre they write.

I would say you definitely need to be reading what you write. If only so you can do market research and see what's out there. But more because it's great to love what you write. For example, I love reading YA/MG Sci-Fi and Fantasy, it's my jam. So, of course, when I started writing I wrote in those genres.

I had a severe case of writer's block this summer, and I came to the conclusion that the best way to continue being productive even if I wasn't writing, was reading. And specifically reading in the genres that I write. So I made myself must-read lists.

Here are some examples from my reading lists:


Genre: MG Sci-Fi
Books reading/read:


by: Jamie Thomson

by: Douglas Adams

 by: Adam Red



Book I'm writing: Untitled
Genre: YA Superhero/comic book style 
(so...i don't know, contemporary mystery?)
Books reading/read:

by: V.E. Schwab

by: Stan Lee, Stuart Moore, Andie Tong (Illustrations)

by: Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons (Illustrator/Letterer), John Higgins (Colorist)

How about you guys? What books are you reading? Do they inspire your writing? Any fun suggestions for my reading list?

No comments:

Post a Comment