Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday: Distance Between Lost and Found by Kathryn Holmes


Breaking the Spine features a weekly event where we talk about the books we can't wait to read.


By: Kathryn Holmes
Release Date: February 17, 2015
Publisher: Harper Teen
Ever since the night of the incident with Luke Willis, the preacher’s son, sophomore Hallelujah Calhoun has been silent. When the rumors swirled around school, she was silent. When her parents grounded her, she was silent. When her friends abandoned her … silent.
Now, six months later, on a youth group retreat in the Smoky Mountains, Hallie still can’t find a voice to answer the taunting. Shame and embarrassment haunt her, while Luke keeps coming up with new ways to humiliate her. Not even meeting Rachel, an outgoing newcomer who isn’t aware of her past, can pull Hallie out of her shell. Being on the defensive for so long has left her raw, and she doesn’t know who to trust.
On a group hike, the incessant bullying pushes Hallie to her limit. When Hallie, Rachel, and Hallie’s former friend Jonah get separated from the rest of the group, the situation quickly turns dire. Stranded in the wilderness, the three have no choice but to band together.
With past betrayals and harrowing obstacles in their way, Hallie fears they’ll never reach safety. Could speaking up about the night that changed everything close the distance between being lost and found? Or has she traveled too far to come back?

This book interests me because I've been reading a lot of speculative fiction (and I'm not tired of that genre by any means) but I also like contemporary. This story has the grounding of contemporary and the fast pace thrill of speculative, so I am excited to read it when it comes out.

6 comments:

  1. OOh nice pick! Totally new to me but hope you love it once you read it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I don't usually pick contemporary, but this one sounded really interesting to me.

      Delete
  2. This book is by Katie Holmes.

    Also, this sounds awesome. It's like YA meets Hatchet/The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, except....more people get lost....and there's probably romance (Jonah?? Rachel???) so I guess it's nothing like those books, whatever. Still interested. Adding to goodreads, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, it's a 2015 debut. I love debut books (I think you got me hooked on them, hehe)

      Delete
  3. Wow, thanks for pointing this one out! It sounds fantastic and I hadn't heard of it yet! I just added it to my to-read list. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Glad that I'm letting people know about new cool books :)

      Delete